CAMPAIGN                      

Share

Tech Gift campaign

Storytelling

Vodafone may be a global telecoms giant, but they are a challenger in the UK broadband market. They face stiff competition from ‘the big four’ Internet Service Providers (ISPs) who command a whopping 95% of the market. (The remaining 5% is made up of Vodafone and 23 other ISPs.) Vodafone’s super-fast broadband is every bit as good as the competition, but they are outspent by the major players in terms of media and attractive content deals, so to make an impression on this market is challenging to say the least.

“Instead of simply saying their super-fast broadband was as good as the competitors, they added value in a way that proved it was.”

Story Doing For All

Inspired by the connected home concept and positive association with technology, Vodafone offered unbelievable value to every new broadband customer, by giving them the chance to claim one of four pieces of technology worth up to £199. All the customer had to do, was sign up to an 18-month contract. The Tech Gift campaign put the speed of Vodafone’s broadband to the test. Rewards included a Sonos PLAY:1 Wi-Fi speaker, a Fitbit Charge2 fitness wristband, a TomTom Bandit Action Camera and Sennheiser noise cancelling Headphones. Vodafone also included the option to redeem £75 on a prepaid Mastercard, to appeal to any customers who weren’t crazy about technology.

“It was important for the reward to arrive like a real gift, with a premium look and feel, creating a moment of emotional connection between Vodafone and the customer.”

Story Sharing

Customers sharing news of their Tech Gift on social media was even quicker over their new faster broadband. The campaign also got rave reviews by the media – The Metro newspaper and Dan Howdle, consumer telecoms expert at broadband comparison site Cable.co.uk both announced it as, “Broadband deal of the week”.

“Going above and beyond customer expectations in terms of overall presentation, encouraged them to share their delight on social media.”

Story Success

The Tech Gift campaign generated sales that exceeded all targets and beat all of Vodafone’s previous trading records, including best sales day and best sales week. And importantly the campaign helped to retain existing customers who were coming up for their renewal. (Of course being deemed the best deal in the market by uSwitch didn’t do us any harm.) Another success worthy of note, was that we managed to change the perception that cashback is king, with 86% of customers choosing a tech gift rather than the £75 MasterCard. AWARDS: Institute of Promotional Marketing (IPM) Awards: Telco, Utilities & Technology category – Silver award New consumer trial & acquisition – Bronze award

“254% uplift in sales compared to when no campaign is running”

Share

Privacy Settings
We use cookies to enhance your experience while using our website. If you are using our Services via a browser you can restrict, block or remove cookies through your web browser settings. We also use content and scripts from third parties that may use tracking technologies. You can selectively provide your consent below to allow such third party embeds. For complete information about the cookies we use, data we collect and how we process them, please check our Privacy Policy
Youtube
Consent to display content from Youtube
Vimeo
Consent to display content from Vimeo
Google Maps
Consent to display content from Google